Day 2

Hello all,

Continuing from yesterday after fully charging the phone, I am attempting to setup the device using the built in mechanisms provided by android.

Android offers a few ways to transfer your data from one device to another, the latest Pixel phones and Android 7.1.1/8 actually offer the ability to transfer from an IOS/iPhone device if you are coming out of that ecosystem, Sadly one issue I have found with the FairPhone is that as the version of Android supplied with it is version 6, this functionality is missing.

However, It does support the "setup nearby device" option that is common to all Android devices from V5 onwards.
This can be accessed from the settings menu, then Google settings. when a new device is in range, it will detect it and allow you to select it, then it will pass your authentication details over to setup the new device.

Another issue I have have to report is due to the lack of fingerprint sensor, it can make 2Factor applications a slight issue, but only in so much as you have to enter a pin etc rather than touch the sensor.

I use Microsoft authenticator to access my office 365 account, and as such I have to set a manual app password to access my account, this can be done here:

https://account.activedirectory.windowsazure.com/AppPasswords.aspx

Not everyone will use Microsoft 2FA, so this won't be an issue for most.

Next thing to try is getting DUO security setup, I absolutely have to have this, as I use it to manage our 2FA infrastructure.

I will continue to update as I progress through getting the device setup to try and mirror my current device as best I can.

Update:

Ok, I have hit a fairly large snag just now, the FairPhone does not come equipped with NFC functionality, usally this would not be a problem as I am just as happy to pay for things with my bank card as I am with Android pay.

However, the issue here is that I am unable to use the NFC in my Yubikey Neo (2FA hardware key) that I use to secure my personal and corporate LastPass account, amongst others.
Usually I log into the LastPass service and when asked for authentication I touch the Yubikey to the phone, and it send the OTP (one time password) via NFC. It will be hard to perform job functions without this service on my device.

It occurs to me that the FairPhone has USB OTG functionality, I may be able to leverage that to use the Yubikey as if it were plugged into a computer instead, but sadly I dont currntly have a micro USB OTG cable, I will have to see if i can find one.

Everything is on hold now until I can sort this issue out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 9

Day 14

Day 7