Day 8

Hello All,

I have been playing around with the FairPhone and noticed in the updateer there is an advanced option, this allows you to install an AOSP (open source) version of Android, what this means is that it is pure Andrid without any of the Google additions and services, which is great if you're into that sort of thing.
Obviously that means you will have no Google Play store or any cloud messaging or backup services, but there are a lot of other services you can install instead like the Amazon app store, or F-Droid the open source app store.

I don't honestly think this would be useful in our corporate environment, but it is still worthy of note.

https://code.fairphone.com/projects/fp-osos/user/fairphone-open-source-os-installation-instructions.html

Unfortunately, I have noticed some lag whilst using skype for business on the device, it takes quite a while to update contacts, and to search the global address list compared to my pixel, and an IOS device.
I can only assume this is down to the slower processor and less RAM, I will however continue testing and reporting as I find things.

another thing I have noticed but need to double check, is that the FairPhone does not seem to support quickcharge or dashcharge, the newer standards from Qualcom, these allow around a 60-70% charge from nearly empty in about 15 minutes.
I think this is due to the older micro USB interface, I do remember there was a quickcharge option with micro USB when using a certified 2.4Amp charger, but I need to investigate a little more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 9

Day 14

Day 7